Saturday, December 30, 2006

What's Bad About GM? The Cars.

An editorial in today's Boston Globe by Robert Kuttner expresses extreme disappointment with General Motors and their production. I couldn't help but think about the role GM plays in America and worldwide, not just economically, but symbolically. With all this outsourcing these days and foreign automakers clearly surpassing American automakers in sales and quality of their automobiles, what is GM thinking? Why do they allow this to happen? I cannot disagree with Kuttner, that they are more concerned with marketing their shoddy product than quality of the product itself.

I would even go so far as to say that a company like GM, with all their potential, has an ethical obligation to deliver a better product. America has fallen in recent years, our standards sure have slipped in so many ways. Our politicians are not going to dig us out of this hole and- believe it or not- I think it is our businesses that have to. Of course, this has to start at the top with the top guys who seem to think more of themselves these days, and do just enough to get by. Or they are just incredibly ignorant. Either way, GM really comes to mind when thinking about how complacent and fat America has become.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Hi CH!

I had though NL's dead! Good to see the post. I'll be back to comment. I think the issue at hand is what is known as "margin accounting". More info to come.

-Jack

6:05 PM  
Blogger DM said...

Please do share that with us. Its a ghost town around here. Since I am finished with work today, I will do a little reading on that.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home