Saturday, July 02, 2005

Verizon Rebates

Not a liberal rant but one against the customer service of the mega-corporation Verizon. I bought a new Verizon cell phone last month and I took the time to send in all the required information to receive a Verizon rebate.

I received a letter yesterday stating I sent a copy of the UPC number when an original was required. I cut out the UPC number from the box and placed it in an envelope. I don't have a copier and now I have a cell phone box with a gaping hole in it. I always thought rebates were a scam...

Me: Can I you send me back the item that you believe is a copy of the UPC number?
Rep: No, once you send it to us it's our property.
Me: Why do you want to keep it if it's a copy?
Rep: Sorry sir it's ours.
Me: It's not a copy I definitely sent you an original.
Rep: The computer says it was a copy.
Me: The computer is wrong.
Rep: Sir, many people send us copies.
Me: Or your computer is often "wrong". Is this a scam?
Rep: Not at all.
Me: You have an unhappy Verizon customer here, is there anything you can do to follow up on this?
Rep: That may be sir but I'm afraid there is nothing I can do.
Me: Super

Weird thing is under a section titled "Original Information Submitted" on the back of the letter there is a UPC number. I wonder if someone hit the wrong check box. I am really frustrated by this. Verizon really should weigh the benefit of offering rebates against the chance of turning their customers against them. Anyone have a similar experience or are we the only people unlucky with rebates?

2 Comments:

Blogger SheaNC said...

I hate those rebates. They could very easily offer the discount at the store and let the store collect the rebate from the company. It's like they're saying, "Hey! We're offering you a discount, but you have to work for it!" Argh.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Mochi, go to the Verizon store and try to get them to do something for you. Its a less easy to turn someone away face to face. Good luck!

-Jack

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home