Sunday, June 19, 2005

Families

In the past month I have switched jobs from an ultra-conservative private equity firm to the more relaxed and liberal environment of a software development firm. As part of my change in job I also decided that spending $350 a month on parking isn't worth it, particularly with a baby on the way, so I have returned to the joys of the subway.

Last week I was walking into the station when I noticed a 14 or 15 year old girl wearing what I first thought was a green t-shirt with a "Mountain Dew" logo. On second glance I realized it wasn't "Mountain Dew", but "Mount and Do Me".

It really got me thinking about this girls home life and how she was able to leave her house without anyone suggesting a different clothing option for her commute to school. It's sad that many children lack the guidance from parents to navigate the path to being a self-sufficient and personally successful member of society. Without sound parental advice many children build roadblocks to their future prosperity, realizing too late that poor decisions in their past limit options in their future.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack Mercer said...

OUTSTANDING and insightful post, Mochi!

Regards,

-Jack

9:07 PM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

Agreed. Even "us liberals" know that freedom of speech should be tempered by common sense. Inviting molestation is unwise in the extreme.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Ha! You crack me up, Shea!

-Jack

4:43 PM  
Blogger curfew said...

Not that I'm defending the stupidity of the situation, but I can remember being 14 and stupid once. I would sneak band shirts in my backpack that my parents forbade as Satanic and other friends of mine would sneak short skirts or bareley there tops changing on the bus ride home. (Yes, I went to public school.) It's not so fair to assume that her parents are at fault. Young girls are perfectly capable of being dumb on their own.

See www.tshirthell.com for more tshirts to hate.

Among them, you will find "Baby Hell" T-Shirts. Good for a laugh and also for blaming parents as these children have no choice but to wear "I tore mommy a new one", "Daddy's Lil' Squirt", and "Now that I'm Safe, I'm Pro-Choice".

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

My favorite T-shirt was the one produced by Planned Parenthood that said "I had an abortion".

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home