Sunday, April 24, 2005

Enough Already

Last night I sat down to watch Bill Maher's Real Time and turned it off after about 10 minutes. The introduction was funny, the interview with Cuomo about the new Pope was one of the most boring 10 minutes of television I have endured. Following that I thought I'd see what Russert had planned for this morning's edition of Meet the Press. I was sure between the horrific week in Iraq, the Bolton nomination and continued bad news for DeLay, he'd have someone interesting on the show. But no, it was all about the Pope.

Last week CNN.com found something religious to have on it's site the entire week. When the Pope's head wasn't on the main page it was replaced by photo of an underpass with a water stain that some group of completely insane people claimed was an impression of the Virgin Mary. The Lord really does work in mysterious ways.

Then there's that new series "Revelations". Has anyone seen it? I watched a few minutes of the first episode. I think it's about a scientist that is convinced by a nun to help her find Jesus before we all die. The scientist almost immediately dropped his ridiculous scientific ideas because the nun was so compelling, or hot, I'm not sure. Aptly, Dateline had a special called "Secrets Behind the Da Vinci Code", that preceded "Revelations".

I understand the Pope is an semi-important guy. I must have heard a thousand times in the past few weeks that, "he is the spiritual leader of a billion people". Big deal. The President of China is the leader of more than a billion people and I remember one day of media attention when Hu became leader in 2003.

By all accounts, the majority of American Catholics differ on the Vatican's stance on abortion, celibacy and contraception. Even though the Pope is the spiritual leader most people in the US don't listen to what he has to say. So when this new Pope dies let's drop the media coverage down to something more palatable, perhaps an article when he dies and an article when the new Pope is elected. Sound reasonable?

4 Comments:

Blogger SheaNC said...

In the end, I wonder how much money was made off of Popapolooza.

1:36 PM  
Blogger DM said...

The Catholic church is a corporation- period. I wonder how much money THEY are making off all of this. I am sure the Jesuspimps were out in full force and effect seeking donations upon JPII's passing and Benedict's nomination. My grandmother was a lifelong Catholic. When I discussed the Catholic church with her the other day, she became disgusted. In her broken English, she revealed to me how they are always in pursuit of donations and thought-policing before they do any actual outreach to the community. They are so incredible.
If you are a Catholic, I do not look down upon that at all. I do look down upon its administration though.

3:00 PM  
Blogger mochi said...

Speaking of donations, if you get a chance watch this documentary on HBO:

A QUESTION OF MIRACLES: AMERICA UNDERCOVER

http://www.hbo.com/NASApp/schedule/ScheduleServlet?CHANNEL=All+Channels&ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&ID=76994

It's very interesting.

5:28 PM  
Blogger DM said...

In hindsight, I know a delayed reaction here, but is anyone else disgusted by Ratzinger's memo about refusing communion to pro-choice advocates? Did he send the same memo regarding war advocates, or death penalty advocates? I know death row inmates are convicted murderers, but is that not choosing life and death for other people? And in an age of preemptive strikes, what if that fetus, 15 years down the road, had the potential of having potential of commiting crimes?

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home