Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Blogging hiatus

Since I'm traveling this week, I don't plan to write a blog until Sunday. Between the Pope's funeral, the marriage of Charles and Camilla, the death of Prince Rainier, the Michael Jackson trial and Peter Jennings lung cancer, political news seems to be taking a back seat anyway. One observation; I am in Seattle and I don't remember a time other than maybe the train stations of Osaka, where I have seen so many homeless people. Ironic that in the home of the world's richest man there is so much poverty. Maybe Bill and Melinda Gates should consider investing some of their money in their own backyard. I realize their foundation is exceedingly benevolent but I wonder whether the money they are spending to motivate change in the high school systems of America could be better spent elsewhere.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Not sure, Mochi, isn't it the mantra of education proponents that the answer to ending poverty is education?

Have a good and safe trip,

-Jack

2:56 PM  
Blogger mochi said...

How do smaller schools educate more people?

3:45 PM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

Gone 'til Sunday? Quick, let's rearrange the furniture! Just kidding :)

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the Pacific Northwest and also notice the pervasive homeless problem. I do think that part of it is the result of factors out of our control. (Mild winters, population that is more alturistic than other parts of the country, more 'sensitive' police regulations). I was in South Bend Indiana this winter and noticed no homeless people. Why? It was negative 15 degrees, something that would never happen here. I also was in Philadelphia and not only was it cold, but the Police seemed to have an altogether different attitude towards them.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home