Thursday, January 27, 2005

Auschwitz

The 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz is being marked in Poland. Personally I have decided to educate myself as much as possible on the horrors of Auschwitz. I've never been too familiar with the details of the holocaust, other than watching Schindler's list and visiting a memorial or two. I purchased the 6 hour PBS documentary that I'm hoping will give me some insight into both the victims and perpetrators.

The more I am reading the less able I am to comprehend how the Israelis could sanction the bulldozing of homes in Palestine, the building of a wall, random "accidental" killing of Palestinian children. I'm not naive to the difference between the plight of European Jews in 1940 and the Palestinians today, but it's fascinating how the oppressed are willing to become oppressors.

1 Comments:

Blogger SheaNC said...

The irony is bizarre. For the Israelis to engage in activities as you describe... I dunno. Madness.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home