Thursday, March 24, 2005

Doctors?

There are group of doctors that question whether Terri Schiavo is brain dead. Two of them are Dr. William Polk Cheshire and Dr. Bill Hammesfahr. Hammesfahr appeared on Hannity and Colmes and Cheshire is the state government's key witness in it's latest appeal to Judge Greer.

Can anyone that reads this blog indicate my religious belief? Probably not. Although you could make an educated guess, I don't wear my beliefs on my sleeve particularly when I'm trying to impartial. These Doctors clearly wear their religion as a badge of honor. Cheshire believes in embracing the tenements of the Old Testament and forming a stronger relationship with Jews. Hammesfahr writes like he is priest and obviously considers faith to be a large part of his success. According to him "80% of patients treated had improvement in their ability to function by the end of the first 3 weeks".

Hammesfahr claims to be a Nobel Prize nominate Doctor. Not true, he has never been nominated by the Nobel committee, he's Congressman nominated him. Not quite the same thing considering he now has to wait 50 years before the committee will consider his nomination. His peers also believe that his methods are flawed and it would be interesting to see him try and validate his statistical claims.

With all the extremists that this "right to life" debate brings out of the woodwork I'm concerned for the safety of Michael Schiavo and Judge Greer. While both have stood resolute in upholding the principles of our laws they have been castigated by a "Right to Life" machine that has ignored the truth and pushed a singly focused agenda. Meanwhile the conservative media is eating it up.

I hope the Schiavo case will serve as a wake up call for moderate conservatives. When during a time of war and massive debt, a vocal minority group is able to direct the attention of the President to further it's cause Republicans should be dismayed. I know I am.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Mochi, who can with all certainty know the "truth" about this whole situation?

I understand the need for people to run out an immediately try to discredit someone when they have an opinion contrary to their own, but does this make them right?

I'll give you an example. I love science and my first degree was in electrical engineering. During that time I discovered the biography of a fascinating man named Nikola Tesla. After extensive research I became a fan. What is interesting about Nikola Tesla is that he was dismissed by his peers and everyone as a kook, but in all reality we have electricity as we know it today because of this man. Yeah, Edison got all the credit, and was the "accepted authority", but Tesla was the true genius.

What I'm getting at, is that our propensity to outright destroy someone's credibility because they disagree with our paradigm does not prove our point or disprove theirs. This singular case is one where many people will define their own values, and all of the information is needed in order for someone to make an informed and judicious decision.

7:20 AM  
Blogger mochi said...

Physicists couldn't understand Tesla because of his advanced theories. What is advanced about Hammesfahr's methods that would put him in the same category as Tesla? I guess you agree with the comment he made that there are children being educated that are in a more advanced state of brain dysfunction?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Mochi, I have no expertise in this matter--I just listen to both sides. I wasn't necessarily elevating him to Tesla, just saying that people were skeptical of Tesla because his theories differed from the norm or their own. Having not examined the evidence firsthand, I guess I'm not willing to dismiss anything.

In regards to your question, though, I have no idea. I guess I would have to examine that evidence first hand also.

10:02 AM  
Blogger DM said...

Im not sure if any of you have read this, but this report really sheds light on everything. Bear in mind it is dated 1 December 2003, but it really shows the family's struggle regarding the matter. We of course have our opinions and we always try to prove our side correct, and I dont reference this report to confirm what I believe should be done; Ive expressed that enough already. I like to provide this report to follow up on what I stated yesterday, that we lose sight of what really matters here: a family torn apart. As Jack stated yesterday, the ability to engage in this discourse and bring forth our personal beliefs is what does define us as Americans. What is sad though is that after Terry dies, America will forget in less than a week and move on to the next issue. And, as Jack had also stated yesterday, the family will carry this ordeal with them for the rest of their lives. It is just plain tragic that such a strong family that pulled together has become so divided in this struggle. Anyway, my preaching on the matter will end here; here is the link:
www.orlandosentinel.com/media/acrobat/2005-02/16435770.pdf

10:58 AM  
Blogger mochi said...

From SaveTerri.com:

"Disclaimer: Everything here is, either my opinion based on documents and information, taken from Internet, or text taken from the Bible.. Although I have tried to present facts, it is possible that some of the information here is not factual. I do not take responsibility for information here, which is not fact. I believe in the truth of what is presented here from the Bible."

Foxnews.com should go with a disclaimer like that...

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Moch? Do I detect a tinge of bigotry here?

4:07 PM  
Blogger mochi said...

In-so-much as I'm intolerant of bullshit? YES.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Faith - Ideology, same thing, different name...

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home