Saturday, March 12, 2005

Choreographing Social Security

Reading the speeches the President has made in the South over the last few days I was struck not only by the scripting of the speech but of the questions following the speech. Here are a couple of classic exchanges:

Question from Ms Hays
“MS HAYS: Every couple of weeks, about $40 is deducted from my paycheck, and that's going into Social Security. But I'm afraid that with the system as it stands right now, that will not provide a safety net for me when I'm ready to retire.
THE PRESIDENT: We're happy you're putting in the $40 right now, aren't we? (Laughter.)
MS. HAYS: You're welcome. (Laughter.)
THE PRESIDENT: The question is, will there be something for you?
MS. HAYS: Exactly. And with your new reforms, I think that this is a positive thing for my generation especially, and I think it will also give us incentive to study economy and to know what's going on around us, as well as educate us in how to invest our own money wisely.
THE PRESIDENT: Yes, it's amazing, you know, there is -- a lot of people are learning what it means to invest their own money, 401(k)s. I presume people out here have got a 401(k). That's a Defined Contribution Plan. That is your money, you're watching it grow, you're investing it, and it becomes your -- part of your retirement package.”

Question from Ms Lyons
“MS. LYONS: I am living with my son and wife, and their two children. And I have two grandchildren here today.
THE PRESIDENT: That's great. You know, let me stop you right there. A responsible society is one in which people take, first and foremost, responsibility for their family, and I want to thank you for taking responsibility for your mom after she took responsibility for you all these years. (Applause.)
MS. LYONS: Thank you. Thank you. Mr. President, you've already answered my Social Security question that I had for you.”

I don’t understand why we a tolerate leadership that won’t answer tough questions from real people with real concerns. How does the administration develop policy if dissent is not tolerated? I guess the answer obviously is that they don’t. Someone has an idea that the President is able to comprehend and therefore likes, then the White House runs with it, blinkers on, until it eventually is presented to the Senate.

5 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

Mochi, what would you ask him? Do you think that you will get out of social security what you will have put into it when you retire? Just curious.

3:27 PM  
Blogger mochi said...

My first question would be; why do you forsee that a 200 billion shortfall in 2018 is a crisis when you are going to request 200 billion dollars in 2006 to meet your obligations in Iraq?

5:42 PM  
Blogger SheaNC said...

Yeah, George W. Bush warning citizens of a fiscal crisis is like Jack the Ripper warning people how dangerous prostitution is.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

I just love to quote the patron saint of liberals and democrats, FDR. Here is what he said about Social Security. How different is it from what Bush is suggesting?

"In the important field of security for our old people, it seems necessary to adopt three principles: First, noncontributory old-age pensions for those who are now too old to build up their own insurance. It is, of course, clear that for perhaps 30 years to come funds will have to be provided by the States and the Federal Government to meet these pensions. Second, compulsory contributory annuities that in time will establish a self-supporting system for those now young and for future generations. Third, voluntary contributory annuities by which individual initiative can increase the annual amounts received in old age. It is proposed that the Federal Government assume one-half of the cost of the old-age pension plan, which ought ultimately to be supplanted by self-supporting annuity plans."

3:19 PM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

The answer to your question, Mochi would be that they are two different funds. One is supposed to be for retirement, the other fiscal operations. Have some good info on my site about Social Security--pick and write only the best for two reasons: 1. I am currently an accountant and understand social security, retirement, etc. 2. I am formerly a Social Security Administrative Law Judge--Educate yourselves rather than engage in partisan rhetoric--it will distinguish you from your peers :)

-Jack

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home