Sunday, March 06, 2005

Trip to the supermarket

A new supermarket has just opened near my house. Grocery shopping this afternoon I had a craving for Japanese rice crackers. After some consultation with a fellow shopper I headed to the "international" section. There was a whole isle dedicated to supposedly foreign foods. There were five regions represented: Italy, Spain, Asia, China and Exotic. I have no idea why China was not considered part of Asia.

Italy consisted of pasta and tomato sauce, Spain was all Goya soft drinks and beans, Asia was interestingly enough populated with pork rinds, China was rice and Exotic didn't consist of sex toys, but spicy sauces from far off places like Louisiana. There were a few other odds and ends but the majority of all these products were produced in America.

I wasn't really surprised, it seemed typical of the world a large US supermarket chain would want their shoppers to believe they live in...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home