Sunday, April 30, 2006

Colbert on Bush ...

... at the White House Correspondents' Dinner

On Iraq: "I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

On Cheney's hunting incident: "To sit here at the same table with my hero, George W. Bush...I feel like I'm dreaming. Somebody pinch me. You now what, I'm a pretty sound sleeper, that may not be enough...Somebody shoot me in the face."

On Bush's response to global warming: "[Talking to Jesse Jackson] is like boxing a glacier...Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is."

To Senator John McCain: "So wonderful to see you coming back into the Republican fold. I've actually got a summer house in South Carolina. Look me up when you go to speak at Bob Jones University."

On Bush's "steadfastness": "The greatest thing about this man is that he's steady, you know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday--no matter what happened Tuesday."

On the press response to the White House shake-up and the metaphor of "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic": "This administration is soaring, not sinking...If anything, they are re-arranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg."

On Bush's approval rating: "Now I know there's some polls out there that say this man has a 32 percent approval rating. But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality.'

Pay no attention to people who say the glass is half empty...Because 32 percent means it's 2/3 empty. There's still some liquid in that glass, is my point. But I wouldn't drink it. The last third is usually backwash."

On Bush's response to disasters: "I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers, and rubble, and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Hi Mochi!

Nice to see you.

I am one of those that happen to believe that there is a time and a place for everything and this hurts critics more than helps them. Like the article says, the press will play this up, but in the long-run Colbert hurts his side more than helps them (although he makes his choir feel good).

Inappropriate behavior characterizes many of these people and they are getting the same attention one would give children when they misbehave. Other children may see them as representative of their views, but adults just find them annoying.

Regards,

-Jack

4:19 AM  
Blogger Smorgasbord said...

I thought Colbert was hilarious. The theme of the night (as always) was self-deprecating humor, and he used his relentless sarcasm to great effect.

Someone who wanted to give a realistic critique of the White House wouldn't have been invited to participate.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Hmm...maybe I'm missing the point (won't be the first time)--I always struggle with that kind of humor, Smorg.

-Jack

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home