Sunday, February 13, 2005

Howard Dean

Howard Dean becoming chairman of the DNC is good news for Democrats. Republicans will claim this is a victory that will ensure they keep control of all branches of government for decades to come. They will cite the "Dean scream", his background as Governor of Vermont and his social liberal ideals as a death knell for the Democratic party. What they won't recognize is that 4 more years of reckless fiscal policy, incompetent foreign policy and poor economic management will result in an environment that will embrace a Dean lead Democratic Party.

The extent of the revival is uncertain. Dean will have to recognize that a sound platform encourages economic growth and shouldn't focus primarily on social or environmental policy. He needs to learn from his experience running in the primaries that the US won't tolerate sharp turn left, but they are definitely ready to bend a little (no gay marriage pun intended).

A friend of mine wrote this in reaction to Dean's appointment to DNC chair:

"I think Dean is a nut. I have always thought so, so this was not based on his over-zealous speech during his campaign days. It frightens me that he is in politics and has such a large following."

This person obviously speaks for many moderate conservatives and some wary liberals but what is this founded upon? Did Dean create a disaster in liberally tolerant Vermont? Did he shut down the maple syrup factories and insist the apples be organically grown? Did he allow NAMBLA members to marry pre-teen boys? Did he close the ski slopes to avoid snow erosion?

For those who buy the conservative propaganda about Dean, I have a suggestion, do some research. Check out his Democracy for America website and let me know what in fact makes this guy nuts. I see him as a fiscally conservative and socially compassionate man who reflects many of my own ideals. Then again maybe I'm nuts...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great. Fiscally conservative, socially liberal. Sounds like Bill Clinton. Democrats should demand to be called Progressives, not Liberals, so they can call REpublicans REgressives. It is an image thing, and the Dems have blown it much too long. We have the high ground, but forfeted it in the last election.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely.

I honestly have little interest in reading about Dean's proposed "Democracy for America" program other than to learn about his approach on a theoretical level. This is because I still think the man is a lunatic and decidedly demented. As a war veteran, he unquestionably deserves our praise and sincere thanks for serving his country well in the armed forces and for valiantly -- and heroically?? -- surviving that experience. Yet while he has both fought and suffered for his beloved country, I do not necessary believe he has the right makeup to hold one of the most notable, let alone the highest, public office in our nation.

I watched him on "Face the Nation" 5 years ago, and while I do not recall the exact topics discussed, it was much more his personality, bearing, and mannerisms that deeply disturbed me. That initial interview left an impression that stayed with me all day, and every time I saw him interviewed or read something else about him, my beliefs held. While it is possible that others question my character judgment abilities because of this option, I stand by my assessment.

It is very possible I have a grossly misinformed opinion of this politician. If that is the case, I imagine I am a sole person standing in this camp. I find it interesting, then, that my husband, who is of a different political bent than I, also shares my opinion. Regardless, there is no doubt that Dean's message has resonated soundly among a large and unwavering following. Nevertheless, is the man capable of holding a high political office and not falter? My fear is that the pressure will eventually get to him, and being mentally unsound, he will snap. And if and/or when that happens, we will all suffer and regret it.

Another question this makes me ponder is this: Is there such a dearth of politicians in the U.S. that we are incapable of finding an electable, sound person -- one who is motivated yet is not pursuing his/her own political agenda, one who is committed to the simple cause of speaking on behalf of their constituency and supporting its issues/initiative, and one who can serve and benefit them? If this is the state of political affairs in the U.S., it speaks volumes about our political landscape.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home