Saturday, February 12, 2005

Making friends in the neighborhood

Recently I became intrigued with the reason behind the lack of diversity amongst my friends. Other than a Japanese sushi chef my friends are overwhelmingly white (as an aside, never take a sushi chef to a sushi restaurant for lunch, it's a recipe for disaster).

I joined a discussion group, in a civic center near my home, that aimed to address racism and build bridges across ethnic groups. Living in one of the most diverse neighborhoods of my city in which white people are the minority, I expected this discussion group to be a representative sample. Instead, arriving a few minutes late, I was greeted with a sea of white faces. Dejected after this initial meeting I decided to give up on the group. It was obviously not a forum in which blacks, Hispanics or Asians felt comfortable and over the course of the evening it did seem contrived. At this point, other than going around knocking on people's doors, I'm really at a loss as to what to do...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...Elsewhere in your community...

A black/hispanic/asian person wanting to express their views to the white members of the community, arrives for a similar meeting you went to at their local church/elsewhere and get greeted with a sea of black/hispanic/asian faces...
All one can hope for is to cross racial boundaries. It happens by accident. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Don't know if you can force it.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home