Monday, December 13, 2004

Dean with Russert

Dean on Meet the Press:

"RUSSERT: Could the Democrats have gone after George Bush's foreign policy, national security record more effectively?
DR. DEAN: Well, I think the answer is yes, because we didn't win, so I believe that you go after somebody's strengths, that the president ran as a war president and he ran as a national security president. The truth is, his record on national security is weak, not strong, but we're not spending the money we need to to get the nuclear weapons leftovers out of Russia; that's a budget item the president has not spent the money on. We're not inspecting the cargo containers. I think it would have been a great strategy to do that.
But I think John ran a pretty good campaign. In fact, from a grassroots perspective, we ran the best campaign that we ever have; it just wasn't good enough. It's one of the reasons I'm interested in the DNC chairmanship."

This is good news for Democrats. A Democratic party with Dean at the helm will be resolute in it's policies. It also gives me some hope that the party will nominate the right candidates in 2008. I respect Howard Dean and he speaks to many of my values. I really can't see him making the mistake of taking the Democratic platform further right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home